Tuesday, 4 March 2008

The Parkour and Freerunning Guide

Parkour is Currently THE Fastest Growing Sport in the World Today... Isn't it About Time You Became Part of it?

This is a review of the 'The Parkour and Freerunning Guide'. This Book and Video Explains Everything You Need to Know to Develop Your Parkour Skills, from the Essential Moves and Techniques Involved in Parkour and Freerunning to the Philosophy of the Movement..

With Parkour You Will Learn How to Trust Your Body and Your Judgments. This Will Translate into the Rest of Your Life From Increasing your Physical and Mental Fitness to Improving Your Confidence and Self-esteem.

Parkour/Freerunning: is an art of movement, a discipline that enables the practitioner to travel freely through and over any terrain he or she may encounter. They both focus on developing the fundamental attributes required for movement, which include balance, strength, dynamism, endurance, precision, spatial awareness and creative vision.
The differences between Parkour and Freerunning is that in parkour you try to get from A to B in the most efficient and natural way, whereas in Freerunning you may employ movements of your choosing. You might also do certain movements solely for their aesthetic value and the challenge of execution. Freerunning is essentially complete freedom of movement.
The appearance of spontaneity and risk-taking you might see in Parkour and Freerunning videos is possible only because of the practitioners strength and precision training:

"The practice, preparation and repetition of movement that come before are as important to parkour as is the final act".

From the author:

"Dear Friend,
When I started - like a lot of people who get interested in parkour - I had no idea what I was supposed to do, or where to start!
Looking back it was just ridiculous. If you can picture a bunch of guys running around like idiots, trying to jump off of the highest things they could find - that was me. I didn't have the skills, know how or the resources to do it safely or correctly.
I had no idea what I was supposed to do or how I was to get to the levels of David Belle and Sebastien Foucan (the pioneers of Parkour and Freerunning).
Without any guidance, I was making it up as I went. I learnt the hard way through lots of trial and error, bruises - and occasionally more serious injuries. That was 4 years ago.
I now spend a lot of my time helping those who are looking for an introduction to parkour and advice on the best ways to get started, as well as novice practitioners who are looking for more technical and specific guidance on how to progress further or how to execute a particular movement correctly.
As I have started giving more and more instruction I decided that others should be able to experience the life changing lifestyle that is Parkour."
Mike Toal. Author of 'The Parkour and Freerunning Guide'.
The book gives you the following:
  • 70 page downloadable 'How to' book entitled 'The Guide to Parkour / Freerunning'
  • Step by step detailed techniques and instructions of how to carry out over 20 Parkour and Freerunning moves (e.g. Cat Leap, Kong, Monkey Vault, Kash Vault, Turn Vault, Lache, Wall Hop, Tic Tac, Underbar etc)
  • An Overview and History of Parkour and Freerunning
  • The Philosophy of Parkour
  • Comprehensive instruction on how to carry out specific exercises to develop your core strength, flexibility and agility - all key elements of parkour

PLUS

  • Over 20 comprehensive, instructional videos covering all the essential Parkour and Freerunning moves and techniques
"The Parkour and Freerunning Guide"

This is a great guide. The videos are really clear and consise and the instructions very easy to follow - even for the more complicated moves. Highly recommended and great value for $19.99. There is even a refund option if you aren't happy - what have you got to lose?

For more information visit http://www.theparkourguide.com/

No comments: